Saturday, September 6, 2008

The light at the end of the tunnel...

Dear friends,

Tom has read all your comments, and he wishes to express his heartfelt thanks to each and everyone who posted. His response is as follows:

Susanto: As much as I would like to speak to my Dad, the environment in my family is really not conducive for that; its probably just the way my family members express their love for one another, i.e. quietly caring for one another. Hence, I think its a really difficult task to bring that up to my Dad. In addition, this is really a sensitive issue, and I have no idea how to go about bringing that up to him... You are right in saying that his acts are unlawful, and the morally right approach would be to report this to respectful authorities such that the interests of the maid is protected. However, there is also the moral issue in having to prosecute one's father right?

Wei Chung: I really agree with you that this a very tough situation. In fact, Desmond was also stumped when I painted him the scenario. Of course, I am really grateful to him for bringing this up in his assignment. With regards to your advice to bringing this up to my Mum, I am afraid that this would not be a suitable approach, because that might just cause my family to break up.

Vijani: Thanks for your kind advice, but sending the maid away would be the last thing I would do. As mentioned previously, the maid is already a part of my family. Also, who can guarantee that my Dad would not repeat his actions in the presence of a newly employed maid?

Joyce: I think making him aware of his actions sounds like a good idea, because for all we know, his actions are unintentional (maybe he was under the influence of alcohol)! However, I do not know how to go about doing this. The other advice you have given is actually what I have currently adopted, that is to ensure that at no point in time my Dad and maid are alone together. In fact, that was also Desmond's advice :-)

Once again, thank you everyone!

- Tom

P.S.: I have edited Tom's response, in particular the vocabulary and grammar, but not the contents.

No comments: