Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ayo kenalkan Desmond!

I am Desmond, a final year undergraduate who is currently pursuing his passion in the Chemistry Department of the National University of Singapore (NUS). Having been trained in the Sciences for almost a decade has equipped me with a fine eye for details, which I am confident will serve me well in the future. In addition, I was appointed as the assistant to the Secretary of the Carnival@Marina Planning Committee (National Day Parade 2005) during my time in National Service, and some of the tasks expected of me included the preparation and screening of documents and presentations on a daily basis, such that everything is in the right place.


Besides Chemistry, Bahasa Indonesia is also an integral part of my life. Although I knew selecting Bahasa Indonesia as my minor was equivalent to having an arduous task await me, I went ahead with my decision and finished all six modules with a perfect score. In addition, I firmly believe that learning is not just limited to the 4 walls of a classroom, and so I seized any possible opportunity to expand my knowledge of both the Indonesian culture and language; these included: working as a prison translator, giving speeches to students in lower level Bahasa Indonesia modules, and paying visits to the embassy.

So I say: pursue what you love, all the way!

5 comments:

Gwen said...

Hey, that was a wonderful job for completing your minor with a perfect score!

Maybe you can add in some personal interest to your biodata so we can know more about you.

Nice photo :)

Kheng Aik said...

Hi,

Nice biodata you have here. You certainly highlighted your drive and accomplishments in life, but your title is a bit misleading. XD

I am not really sure about the specifics of a biodata, but maybe Gwen would be right in that some personal interests would enhance it?

Regardless, I am impressed with it. :)

Desmond said...

Thanks for the comments, Gwen and Kheng Aik :)

Kheng Aik: Hmm, why is it misleading? The direct translation would be: "Hey, lets get aquainted with Desmond".

Walaupun Bahasa Indonesia dan Bahasa Melayu cukup mirip dengan satu sama lain, tapi masih ada amat banyak perbedaan. Jadi maaf ya, kalau Anda salah faham!

(Although the two languages have much in common, but there are actually still significant differences. So please forgive me, if you have got the wrong message).

Cya both tomorrow!

Max (Zong Neng) said...

Hi Desmond!

Upon reading your biodata, I have learned new things about you! A nicely structured biodata couple with an excellent photo (I can't recognize you!). Your Biodata has truly highlighted your passion towards new things but like what gwen and kheng aik have mentioned, may be you can give an insight of your interests which might be relevant?

See you in class!

Brad Blackstone said...

This is a very interesting personal statement, Desmond. (Just curious: How did you develop an interest in Bahasa?) I think this would work very well as a job bio; it's concise and clear, and evenly detailed.

Thanks!