Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflection on Research Project Experience

"Two heads are better than one." What about four heads?


This research project is indeed an enriching experience. I like how the four of us have distinctly different characters, which allows us to complement one another. Zhiyi is the one that would get started on something, and that allows the other members to subsequently follow-up on the piece of work. I see that as an extremely crucial skill to have in group work. After all, it is one thing to spend days and days to brainstorm, and another thing altogether to materialise whatever thats said. Susanto is our group's silent worker who is always supportive of ideas (unlike the old me that can be very critical of ideas). I really appreciate his timely contributions that puts us back on track during discussions. Lastly, we have Max who is the analyser. Occasionally, the group is at a lost as to what is the next appropriate step to take, and Max would always step in and shed light on various subject matters.

About 4 years ago, my superior in the military told us about the dynamics of group work, and I found it extremely appropriate for this project. He said: "In any team work, there are various roles that are adopted by different individuals, and they are namely: the leader whom leads (obviously), the devil that has to do the dirty job of shooting ideas down and having to push his way such that things get done, and the other members being faithful subscribers to proposed ideas and/or thoughts. Of course, with all that is said, I find that I usually end up being the devil of the group in such situations. Often, I would ask myself why would I even choose to adopt such a role, and potentially end up with a bad reputation. How about you? What role do you usually adopt in such occasions?

7 comments:

Gwen said...

I think four heads are better but they bring in a lot of differences too.

With more people the amount of work to be done will decrease, however, one important thing is to ensure the report has only one voice. I think that is a big challenge.

Regarding your question, i think I would choose to be a follower. I think having results is more essentials than having conflicts. Unless i believe something is really wrong, I would not hesitate to be the "bad guy".

woensusanto said...

Hi

I really like your post and I think that is the best =p.

A very long time ago, I used to be the devil of the group (very contradicting from what I’m now right?). I have changed because I realized that I do not have enough substance to play that role well. This shows that you have a good analytical mind. Though being a devil of the group maybe unattractive, it is the role that creates spark to new creative ideas. Good job!

WS

Zhiyi said...

Hi Desmond, thanks for your post. It is quite similar to mine. And it's very true about our group. You described me as the leader. That's interesting! I used to think of myself as a follower in a group project. But sometimes when things need to be done, there's got to be someone who volunteers first. Nicely done!

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Desmond, for the detailed reflection. I like the way you delineate your group mates' roles. It is interesting how individuals seem to gravitate to a role that suits them.

I appreciate all your hard work, as devil or whatnot.

Now I look forward to reading the report.

Benjamin Ng said...

Hi Desmond,

I found the bit about the ‘leader’, ‘devil’ and ‘follower’ extremely interesting. Personally, I believe the role one plays can vary from group to group. For example, this semester I have 5 projects going on simultaneously, and to be the ‘devil’ or ‘leader’ in all the groups would be very tiring due to the mental exertion. What determines a person’s role in a group can be the composition of the group, and the amount of expertise the person has. A follower in one group can become a leader in another if he has the expertise necessary, or simply has more initiative than the rest of his group. I’m sure that most of us, at one point or another, would have had to fulfil any of the three roles.

2D 2012 said...

I think being a "devil" at times is a very crucial role.

Improvements can be made and better ideas generated when some ideas are being rejected tactfully.

Though many cooks may spoil the broth sometimes, from your group's reflections, I believe the four "cooks" in your group have worked together and came up with a nicer broth (:

Wong Liang Fu said...

Hi Desmond!

I found what you said about playing different roles really true!

It is really important that the members in the group acknowledge the importance of group dynamics. Indeed, it is when all the 4 heads pitch in can the project move along in the right direction!